Spoken English is different from written English. While most of us speak casually once we get a hold over the language, it still becomes confusing when we use terms such as will and going to. English is the third most common native language in the world, so you will find different people speaking it differently. Being the language of communication worldwide, it is important to understand the concepts right.
Today, let us understand the correct usage of these terms, often used interchangeably in written and spoken communication.
I will go to school tomorrow.
I am going to have dinner.
However, both refer to the future tense, there is a slight difference. Sometimes, they can even be used interchangeably with no difference in meaning. Let us find the meaning and the correct usage of it.
Use 'will' when you want to tell about future facts or things that you believe to be true about the future. To be very specific,use will when you are making a decision. In case if you are not sure about the future, use 'will' with expressions, such as 'probably', 'possibly', 'I think', 'I hope'. Will is also used to make an offer, a promise or a threat.
· The teacher will scold you for not doing the homework.
· Raina is sure that he will like her.
· Surya believes Karthi will do a better job.
· I will possibly come for the picnic if I get a leave.
Use 'going to' when you are making a future prediction based on evidence in the present situation. Use it when there are definite signs that something is going to happen or you intend to do something in the future. Use going to after the decision has been made and not before making it.
· It's going to rain today said the MET department.
· We are not going to get the movie tickets evenif we wait in the queue for hours.
· There is too much traffic. Rosy said we are going to miss our flight.
· He is going to spend his vacation in Spain.
Hope the above explanation and examples help you to understand the concepts. Learning the correct use will not only help you improve your communication skills but also boost your English speaking confidence. You can join a spoken English course online and learn more about the language. It will help you grow in your personal and professional life.
eAgeTutor.com is the premier online tutoring provider. eAge's world-class faculty and ace communication experts from around the globe help you to improve English in an all-round manner. Assignments and tasks based on a well-researched content developed by subject matter and industry experts can certainly fetch the most desired results for improving spoken English skills. Overcoming limitations is just a click of mouse away in this age of effective and advance communication technology. For further information on online English speaking course or to experience the wonders of virtual classroom fix a demonstration session with our tutor. Please visit www.eagetutor.com.
- By Chander Madan
1. Introduction to and appropriate use of adverbs
2. Countable v/s uncountable nouns
3. Question tags: All you need to know about it!
4. The art of using ‘verbs’ in the right manner
5. Introduction and appropriate use of adjectives