Parts of Speech:
There are hundreds and thousands of words in English Language. All these words have a different function. Some words describe another word while some shows action. We can classify parts of speech in eight basic classes. The different types are adjective, pronoun, noun, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.
What is an Adverb?
• She went slowly to school. In this sentence, the word slowly is the adverb. Slowly modifies the verb went.
• It is really hot today! In this sentence, the word really is the adverb. Really modifies the adjective hot.
Types of Adverbs
Adverbs can be classified into different types. They are as follows.
1. Adverb of Time :
The adverb which shows the time when an action takes place is called the adverb of time. Adverb of time answers the question “when”.
• I lost my pen yesterday. Here yesterday is the adverb of time.
2. Adverb of Place:
The adverb shows the place where an action takes place. Adverb of place answers the question”where”
• Can you go there? Here there is the adverb of place.
3. Adverb of Manner :
It shows how an action takes place. So it answers the question”how”
• She answered quickly. Here quickly is the adverb of manner.
4. Adverb of Degree or Quantity:
This adverb answers the question”how much” or to “what extent”.
• He is very tired today. Here very is the adverb of degree.
5. Adverb Of Frequency:
Questions like” how often” is answered.
• He is never late to school. Here never is the adverb of frequency.
6. Interrogative Adverb:
When? Where? How? Why?
• When did you go to Paris? When is the interrogative adverb in this sentence.
List Of Adverbs
The different examples are as follows:
Carefully, correctly, loudly, easily, quickly, somewhere, anywhere, nowhere, out, outside, inside, downstairs, always, never, often, rarely, seldom, tomorrow, yesterday, later, already, after.
Difference Between Adjective And Adverb
An adjective is a word that modifies a noun or a pronoun.
• She is a cute girl. Here the word cute is an adjective as it modifies the noun girl.
On the other hand, adverb is a word that is used to qualify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.
• He eats quickly. Here quickly is the word which modifies the verb eats.
Want to know more about “Adverbs?” Click here to schedule live online session with e Tutor!
About eAge Tutoring:
eAgeTutor.com is the premium online tutoring provider. Using materials developed by highly qualified educators and leading content developers, a team of top-notch software experts, and a group of passionate educators, eAgeTutor works to ensure the success and satisfaction of all of its students.
Contact us today to learn more about our tutoring programs and discuss how we can help make the dreams of the student in your life come true!