We all understand the fact that writing a formal letter is a 'serious business'. Moreover, that is probably the case because any letter can make or break the perception that one has for you. The formal letter you write should project you as calm and confident rather than immature. Remember, it is a representation of you when you are not physically present.
To learn English is one thing and to learn English fluently is another. It is advisable that you keep practicing writing different types of formal letters as that will improve English grammar and assist you in English language learning.
A formal letter can be written for almost every reason, but the common ones are the application based or the permission-based ones. Here's how to go about writing a formal email/ letter application requesting for leave for a few days.
Step #1: Write your address and contact number on the left-hand side of the page. Neatly, below your name jot down your address.
Sector- 17, Vashi,
Navi Mumbai, 400703.
Step #2: Add a subject column. Write down the subject of the letter in less than a sentence,
Subject: Application for leave.
Step #3: If you know the name of the person you are addressing this letter to, write their full name and formally address them by using "Rev", "Dr.", "Mr.", "Mrs.", or "Ms.", it works fine. If you do not know the name of the individual, "Dear Sir/ Madam" can come to your rescue.
Mr. Ramesh Kandelwal,
Step #4: Start writing the body of the letter. Make sure the body of the letter does not exceed three paragraphs. Be 'short and sweet'.
• Paragraph 1- State the reason or the main aim of the letter.
• Paragraph 2- Elaborate on the reason explaining your need for the leave.
• Paragraph 3- Briefly wrap up your letter by suggesting how you might want to proceed with the leave and hoping it is well accepted by the authority.
Step #5: Sign off your letter with your salutation reading 'Sincerely' followed by your name and designation placed one below the other.
Listed below are some important tips that need to be kept in mind while writing a formal letter:
• It is good to be respectable throughout the letter but make it a point that you emphasize on receiving an acknowledgment of your leave letter.
• Write words spelled completely rather than using the convenient SMS terminology.
• Be crisp and clear, check for the English grammar and spelling mistakes.
• Read and re-read your dispatch before you send it out.
eAgeTutor.com is a premier online English learning institute. eAge's world-class faculty and ace communication experts, from around the globe, help you to improve in an all-round manner. Assignments and tasks based well-researched content developed by subject matter and industry experts can certainly fetch the most desired results for improving spoken English skills. In this age of effective and advanced communication technology, online spoken English programs are the most effective and convenient way to learn English.
For further information on our online English speaking courses or to experience the wonders of the virtual classroom, fix a demonstration session with our online English tutor.
- By Monika Agarwal
• How to Stress on Words While Speaking English?