It is a very satisfying and cheerful experience to receive a certificate, award or scholarship. If you've received an acknowledgement in the form of a certificate, it certainly means that you've done a whole bunch of things right. Whether it's your grades, extracurricular activities, sports, etc. Receiving recognition for your efforts is definitely a 'feel good' emotion; nevertheless, make sure to practice your spoken English skills beforehand. While you are excited and thankful beyond bounds, it could put you through a challenging situation to figure out what to say while accepting the recognition.
It is very important for you to receive a certificate graciously and express your acknowledgement in fluent English. This process requires some amount of thought and preparation. Let's take a look at some of the critical points that you need to pay heed to:
1. Start your speech with a 'Thank you': You need to be grateful about the fact that your efforts have been acknowledged and therefore make it a point to be grateful. You could start your speech by thanking all those who have nominated or recommended you to receive the honor.
Example: "I would like to begin by extending a thank you to all my dear teachers who have considered me to be worthy of this acknowledgement. Without them, I would not have been able to achieve what I have been awarded for today."
2. Mention the name of the award: Doing so will display the fact that you feel extremely honoured and humbled to be receiving a crucial certification from XYZ. You could also mention that you wish to thank the award giving company for dedicating their time and effort in coming and attending the function, you're being felicitated in.
Example: "Moving on, I would like to thank 'Children's Association of India' for taking out some time from their extremely busy schedule for attending and handing the certificate to me."
3. Talk about your feelings: Everyone would expect you to say a maximum two lines about how you feel and how much this award means to you. Meeting their demands extends a few words about the sense of gratitude you're going through.
Example: "I can't really express how much this certificate means to me. This acknowledgement is something that I will cherish throughout my life and would always look upon in those times when I feel low."
4. Say something inspirational: You already might have an individual, a hero that you idolize. You could use a motivational and inspirational quote from his/ her collection or you could do some homework and put forth your thoughts on how you feel after receiving the honor.
Example: "The canvas painted by me due to which I have been blessed with this award signifies the importance of giving women an equal status in society. Not because that's what everyone is demanding but because they completely deserve."
5. Thank those who have helped you: There are a handful of people that are partly responsible for your success. Hence, on achieving the success, it is extremely vital for you to thank all those rather than hogging the limelight all by yourself.
Example: "At this moment, I also want to take this opportunity to thank my parents and grandparents who inspired the entire artwork created on the canvas. I have just been the source of what my family believed in. Thank you Mama and Papa."
If you're someone who is about to receive an award, make sure to go through this article thoroughly. It is extremely crucial for you to keep your English communication skills at its best as you will be the center of attention. Last but not the least, be sure to attain a strong confidence in the English language as you could be asked a few questions while you're on stage.
eAgeTutor.com is a premier online English learning institute. eAge's world class faculty and ace communication experts, from around the globe, help you to improve english in an all-round manner. Assignments and tasks based on a well-researched content developed by subject matter and industry experts can certainly fetch the most desired results for improving spoken English skills. In this age of effective and advance communication technology, online spoken English programs are the most effective and convenient way to learn English.
For further information on our online English speaking courses or to experience the wonders of the virtual classroom, fix a demonstration session with our online English tutor.
- By Monika Agarwal
1. How to grab an internship opportunity?
2. How to effectively make a presentation?
3. How to explain your strengths, weakness, attitude, and skill sets?
4. Use the Power of Phrases to Improve Your Spoken English Fluency
5. How To Invite Somebody For a Birthday Party?